It is normal to feel sad, anxious or stressed from time to time. However, if these feelings persist and are affecting your daily activities, including your studies, you should seek help via your GP, usual support service, or RCA student support.

We have collated some resources and guidance below which you may find helpful: 

Email staff 

Sometimes you may choose to take time off due to your mental health. We’ve put together this template to help you let your tutor know - feel free to pick the reason you’re most comfortable with disclosing.

Dear _____ , 

I am unable to attend teaching [today/this week] due to [feeling unwell/having to take time off to focus on my wellbeing/mental health].

Best wishes, 

_____ . 


Mental Health First Aid

We have MHFA trained staff so that they can support fellow staff or students who are developing mental health problems, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. See the list of MHFA trained staff and find out more.


Contact student support

Student Support offers advice and support to all RCA students including; disability advice, learning difficulties support, counselling, mental health support, international student support, financial and housing support.

Find out more and/or book an appointment via moodle.

Jennifer Springham is the Mental Health Coordinator, who can provide you with 1:1 support at College if you are experiencing mental health concerns, whether or not you have a diagnosis. 


Crisis Support 

Internal resources 

Speak to a Mental Health First Aid trained staff member of RCA who you can identify by their wearing of a green Mental Health First Aid lanyard. 

External resources

If you are experiencing a crisis outside of the College, you can:

- Contact your GP surgery to request an emergency appointment.

- If your GP surgery isn't open, call the free NHS out-of-hours medical line on 111 and they will help you access the right services.

- You can call Student Minds, the UK’s student mental health charity, on 01865264168. 

- You can call the Samaritans on 116 123 to talk to someone at any time, day or night.

- Nightline are available overnight and can help students across London, call them on +44 (0) 207 631 0101.

- Victim Support offer free and confidential support to help you deal with your experience, whether or not you report the crime. Also supports witnesses of crime. Tel: 0808 168 9111.

-You can call the LGBT+ helpline on 03003300630. 


Quiet spaces for reflection and mindfulness

Should you need a quiet space or somewhere to partake in daily prayer on-site there is a room available within Student Support in Kensington. If you are in Battersea or White City, email Estates and Campus Operations for help finding a suitable space. 

There are Mindfulness sessions in Student Support. As an RCA student, you can also access mindfulness sessions via the Imperial Chaplaincy Multi-Faith Centre.